Finished Project #2


The Ball Gown.

Some of you have already seen it, but here’s the picture of the completed dress:

The picture is a little fuzzy, and this was at the end of the dance, so my hair had lost it’s fresh-off the curling iron look, but it is what it is.  It was a lot of fun, and a big learning experience.

The first whoopsy was the melt.  We thought the material was 100% cotton.  Well, suffice it to say that it wasn’t.  Thankfully, it was on the edge of the fabric, and easy to work around.

The second whoopsy was that the machine I own is at least 15-20 years old and something went wonky a few weeks before I began working on this project.  Last time I checked, the pedal is actually supposed to operate the machine.  But, with some packing tape to tape the cord in the exact place it needed to be, we were able to complete the dress.  Unfortunately, however, the pedal has now refused to send electricity into the machine, so we will be buying a new pedal sometime in the next month or two.

The third whoopsy was that we (my mom and I were working on this together) forgot to double check what was pinned to what, where, and how.  Well, the bottom of the lining was sewed to the top of the brown material, and we had already sewn in the placket.  So, to fix this, we had to trim 5″ off the bottom (or top) of the various parts of the dress and sew it correctly.  At first, we thought it was too long, since we added the inch or two at the top to allow for more room in the bust.  We were mistaken, so we did what everyone told me they thought they would do next time they made one. Where there is that little fold is where the whoopsy happened, and it now looks just as well, perhaps better as it would have before.

The last whoopsy happened after I was in bed.  Mom was doing some last minute sewing and accidentally snipped the sleeve fabric.  This was at like midnight or so, so she was very tired, and working on my dress for me, so I sympathize with her waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than I blame her.  She was such a good spirit about it, and mended it.

Oh, did I say that was the last whoopsy?  The last one before I wore it, I meant.  At some point during the ball, the same sleeve tore again, and the dress is now hanging in my closet, to be mended again before I wear it again.

I am sure that had to be rather boring for many people, but I hope that for people who are hoping to make Simplicity 4055 this is educational.

For those folks, keep this in mind:

1.  The bust measurement is not one size fits all.  Some people have made it too big, I made it too small.  I highly recommend doing what we did.  Make a mock up.  A full dress mock up.  This will help make sure all the measurements of the pattern will be accurately fitted to your body.

2. If you have a problem with the depth of the neckline, I recommend adding an inch the shoulders and back as well as the neckline.  We did this, but I talked to several people who did not, and I can tell you it is worth it.

3. Take the time to enclose or serge every seam.  The only seams that were left visible if you looked at my dress inside out were the two seams in the sleeve, under the arm.  It takes some time, hand-stitching, and thinking outside the pattern a bit, but it also is worth it.

And of course the obvious “measure twice cut once”, “a stitch in time saves nine” and, as my mother said (this intellectual property of hers, no one market this, ya hear?) “Lord, guide my snips, lest I fray.”

It was a lot of fun, and I would highly recommend visiting the pattern makers site for the original pattern and other, just as nice ones. ♥

Advertisements

3 Comments

Filed under blogging, cotton, crafting, historical crafts, homeschool business, sewing

3 responses to “Finished Project #2

  1. Sophia

    Love it, Polly! =) You look lovely. <3 It was most helpful.

  2. Hahaha! I just realized that the way I say “But, with some packing tape, we were able to complete the dress.” makes it sound like the seams are taped together. We used the tape to keep the cord in the right place so the connection is maintained. Hahahahaha.

  3. Pingback: I have been blogging for a year. |

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s